01 June 2007

It was 40 years ago today...


Cheers to my all-time favorite band, my idols, The Beatles, on the 40th anniversary of their release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. We all know what a breakthrough, iconoclastic album it is, so there's really no need for a lot of hyperbole. In the music world, There was pre-Pepper and there's post-Pepper. It changed the landscape of music, fashion, culture, and style forever.

Sgt. Pepper still resonates today with the same jaw-dropping amazement that I'm sure was felt in 1967. I've listened to Pepper hundreds of times, and it's just as fresh today as the first time I heard it. To go from Please Please Me in 1962 to Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite five years later blows my mind! The musical evolution of The Beatles in such a short span reinforces the level of genius manifested in the four lads from Liverpool...the four coolest dudes to ever walk the planet, in my humble opinion.

Happy Birthday Sgt. Pepper, Billy Shears, Mr. Kite, and the rest of the swirling circus of characters!

No comments: