01 June 2007

WITNESS!!


What was I a witness to last night? Am I worthy of such a thing?

As I wrote in a previous entry, I live for the drama of sports. Last night was a religious experience for me...the wonderment of which I'm still recovering. The
mind-blowing performance of one LeBron Raymone James in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals has to rank up there as one of the most amazing spectacles ever put on in the world of professional sports.

The ridiculously stupid NBA commercials featuring David Blaine spouting the magical qualities of the stars remaining in the playoffs may, in fact, be right on target. LeBron pulled off Houdini-esque, no,
David-Copperfield-making-the-Statue-of-Liberty-"disappear"-esque feats of wonder last night in Detroit. In a town that gave us "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", LeBron carried the weight of his team, his city, his state, and anybody who loves sports to an unprecedented height. If you watched the game, you know what I'm talking about...if you didn't, find a friend or loved one who DVR'd it, sit your ass down on the couch, and become a witness. I still can't believe what I saw.

This is a Pistons team that many predicted would sweep the Cavs. Hell, the Cavs could be up 5-0 right now (yes, I realize that it's best of seven). This is a veteran Detroit team, at home, playing against one baller and a bunch of pick-ups. End of story. The Cavs, on paper, should be back home watching reruns of "White Shadow", while the Pistons gear up for the Spurs. On paper. Ah...but we all know that games are not played nor won on paper. When you have an x-factor such as LeBron...game on.

Scoring the final 25 points of the game for the Cavs, and 29 of the final 30 (in double overtime, no less), on the road, with Kid Rock and Bob Seger staring you down like Black Bart to your sheriff, in basically a must-win situation...unbelievable. I'm having difficulties formulating my thoughts into words this morning. It was that amazing!

And what makes it even better is that LeBron is genuinely a team player, a guy that just wants to win, whether it's he alone, or with a supporting cast. Best quote of the night:

"If I did everything I did tonight and we lost, it means nothing," James said. "The win is the most important thing for us, and we need one more win to reach our goal."

For all the talking heads who criticized LeBron for not taking the shot at the end of Game 1, and criticized him for taking the last shot at the end of Game 2, the reporters and sports talk hosts who said he doesn't come through in the clutch, doesn't finish games, is overrated...that discussion is officially closed...over...finished. Just like the Pistons are, hopefully.

1 comment:

DP said...

Keep up the good work.

I, myself, find it terribly ironic that I wrote a post this morning titled: "What Words Are There to Describe It?" that somehow stretched on for what appears to be several hundred words.

As for last night, a quote from some random blog commenter sums it up best, I think:

"This really is the reason I love sports. To see will manifest into flesh. It's astonishing that men can do such things."