03 June 2007

So it's official...

The Cavs have done it. According to certain segments of the sports media world, they pulled off the single greatest miracle in the history of sports, the most amazing, stunning, shock-the-world win EVER.

Or did they?

All the spinning tops (I'm looking in your direction Woody Paige and Stephen A. Smith, et. al.) proclaimed two weeks ago that the Pistons were destined to advance to the NBA Finals, yet again...most assuredly in four games. Did I believe the prophecies of these modern day sports soothsayers?

Nope.

I'm no Nostrodamus, but I pulled my good sports mojo out of my back pocket (see Patriots, Braves, Orangemen) and said that the Cavs would give Detroit all that they had. Did I think, realistically, that Cleveland would win the series...no...but, I knew that they were bringing back the same team as last year, with a 100% Larry Hughes (and a young stud named Daniel "Boobie" Gibson), and Detroit was without Ben "watch-my-afro-grow-during-this-Craig-Sager-interview" Wallace. I liked the Cavs chances to hang. Guess what? I was right, and then some.

The real test is upcoming...the Spurs have the advantage in almost every category. However, the fact of the matter is this...it's June, there are only two teams left, and the Cavs are still alive. Who'd have thunk it? I for one, would not. I've seen the promised land...and it is painted in wine and gold. Here's to a fun couple of weeks yet to come.

No comments: